This discussion page is for COVID-19 entertainment information.
A socially distanced chance to meet some new friends. Sometime in June.
🖼Public Art Needed Now More Than Ever
Public Art can lift the spirit, add interest to life and bring hope to a depressing situation. It is needed now more than ever. Orange County has four projects in the works. The call is out for the new Orange County MultiCultural Center (info here) and the annual Sculpture on the Lawn (info here). Meanwhile three finalists are preparing proposal for a new park for East Orange County and the selected artist is finalizing his proposal for Orange County’s I-4 Ultimate art to be located near Universal Orlando.
🖼Starting this Saturday, Crealdé School of Art Main Campus and the Hannibal Square Heritage Center will begin opening to the public, offering art workshops and gallery tours. Our Summer Session of classes, workshops, and art camps is underway, as well, beginning in early June.
The campuses have been closed since mid-March due to the pandemic. Now, after weeks of planning, cleaning and disinfecting, restructuring classroom set-ups for social distancing, and implementing a comprehensive safety protocol, we are ready to welcome and excited to reconnect with the community in person. And, there are still plenty of ways to connect virtually with our online gallery exhibition and art festival videos.
💌Lake Nona Mother's Day: This year, celebrate mom in a big way with help from our iconic “Beacon” tower in the Lake Nona Town Center. Take your Mother’s Day card to the next level by putting your artwork up on the six-story digital display. Click here to read more about how to submit artwork for display.
😎CelebrityGramz: Since the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic, live entertainment has nearly all gone away and moved online. In an effort to provide highly-talented entertainers with work and to provide priceless entertainment and memories for the masses, Producer Greg M. Thompson of the 17-year running Sunburst Convention and Showcase of Celebrity Impersonators held in Orlando, FL has created “CelebrityGramz”. Through the new CelebrityGramz service, receiving a personalized greeting from the biggest “stars” past and present in music, movies, TV, comedy and more, is just a click away. Anyone can book a personalized greeting or “live” video call with the world’s best professional celebrity impersonators, including the likeness of Cher, Dolly Parton, Bono, Jack Nicholson, Martha Stewart, Marilyn Monroe, Michael Jackson, Elvis, Austin Powers, Marty McFly and many more.
Booking is easy. Visit www.CelebrityGramz.com, complete an order form for a two-minute Recorded Live Message or Live Video Call up to four minutes, choose the Celebrity Impersonator for your CelebrityGramz, and within 24 hours, customers will receive a video link or be set up with their “star” live ($99 and up).
👗LNHS Virtual Prom: Lake Nona High School is hosting a virtual prom! Just because you can't have prom in person, doesn't mean you can't have it in spirit. While practicing social distancing, dance the time away at home and share your memories with the school! The idea is to get all dressed up, access the prom playlist on YouTube here, take as many pictures and videos as you can all dressed up and submit them here by May 6, 2020. Inappropriate pictures will be forwarded to school administration.
🍕Your Pie Pizza - Lee Vista: It's no secret that this is a difficult time in our community, especially for those in the restaurant industry. In the midst of fear and uncertainty, Your Pie is hoping to provide a bright spot for families in this area.
Your Pie realizes that kids are dealing with challenges of their own, like adjusting to online classes and missing their favorite sports, activities and social events. We've launched a weekly art contest for kids (18 and under) to promote imagination and infuse some fun during these trying times.
Each week in April, we'll issue a creative challenge on Facebook, each with a different topic. Creative masterpieces must be turned in electronically by 8pm each Sunday. They'll select and announce four winners each week based on age group: 5 & under; 6-11; 12-15; 16-18, and each winner will receive one free pizza combo.
Full details are available on their Facebook page here.
👨🏼🎤ICEBAR Orlando’s Virtual Dance Party hosted by DJ ET is back this Saturday night, April 25th starting at 8pm! This week’s FREE dance party features a LIVE ice carver and a VIP Experience giveaway ($500 value) for one lucky virtual partygoer! Join the party directly here or at www.ICEBAROrlando.com.
👨🏼🎨On Saturday, April 25, some of the sculptures in Downtown Orlando will be highlighted on a free virtual tour led by Terry Olson of the Orange County Office of Arts & Cultural Affairs for International Sculpture Day. Some of the artists whose art will be highlighted will join the Zoom call and are open for questions including the world-renowned Ed Carpenter and the son and curator of the prolific Dorothy Gillespie. There is limited space so don’t be late.
Orlando Sculpture Tour
Saturday, April 25
1:00 pm, Eastern Time
Click here to join.
🧘 Lake Nona's Slow Flow Yoga can be found here.
💐 Activities to do outside in the Lake Nona area can be found here.
🧒🏽 Nemours has activities for kids here.
👨🏼🎤Ice Bar Orlando presents a virtual dance party hosted by DJ ET this Saturday, April 18th from 8-9 PM on Zoom, Facebook, and Instagram. Get links to join the virtual dance party at: www.ICEBAROrlando.com, Facebook, and @ICEBAROrlando.
👯♀️Orlando Ballet encourages Central Floridians to keep dancing and turn to the arts for enrichening experiences during this very stressful time, and has several online programs for its Orlando Ballet School students and the Central Florida community to take part in.
- Orange County Public Schools (OCPS) Partnership:
- Orlando Ballet is partnering with OCPS to provide online dance instruction to every school in Orange County with a dance program, the program is called “OCPS Arts Behind the Screen: Orlando Ballet”.
- Partnership is part of the school district’s distance learning program.
- Classes are held twice a week for elementary, middle and high school-aged students and taught by members of the Orlando Ballet professional company.
- Classes include stretch and warm-up exercises, as well as instruction in ballet fundamentals and creative movement classes.
- The aspiring OCPS students have the opportunity to connect directly with Orlando Ballet’s professional dancers and get to ask questions about their career, training, and more.
- Orlando Ballet School Classes:
- OBS students are receiving online dance instruction and are able to receive corrections remotely from their teachers.
- OBS' top students all the way down to the 3-year-olds have online classes.
- OBS director, Phillip Broomhead, is even teaching students curriculum like dance history.
- Adult Drop-in Classes:
- Orlando Ballet started recording live Adult Drop-in classes to help adults have access to the arts and resources for staying fit and active while so many are at home.
- Classes include BeMoved, beginner ballet, family yoga, pilates, sculpt, and more.
- Viewers can visit Orlando Ballet’s social media platforms for more details.
Additionally, Orlando Ballet’s upcoming production, “Mowgli - The Jungle Book” which was set to premiere at the Dr. Phillips Center in May, has been canceled, as well as “Uncorked” April 24. These cancellations and postponements come with a steep financial cost to Orlando Ballet and the organization is asking supporters to consider donating their ticket refund back to Orlando Ballet to help the ballet weather this difficult time. Patrons will also have an option to take a credit for next year’s season. But as Orlando Ballet understands the economic climate is affecting everyone, all requests for refunds will be honored.
👩🏽🎨Learn Something, Why Don't You? You have more time at home now, so why not join a virtual dance class or language lesson? Here are some online opportunities from FusionFest participants FusionFest.org/Virtual
You can also check out the Florida Alliance for Arts Education site at www.FAAE.org for more classes.
The socially-engaged, local Boots on the Ground Theater Inc. is seeking video responses from YOU, of 60 seconds or less, to this prompt:
- Like beauty, art is very much in the eye of the beholder. However you may define it, WHY ART? Why do you consume art? Why create, or help produce it? Why is art important, or is it?
Send your video, name and title/occupation to *email@example.com*
🎞 A new documentary, Spelling the Dream, is coming to Netflix on May 23 and features a young Orlando native national spelling bee champion. The National Spelling Bee was cancelled this year due to COVID-19.
- Spelling the Dream (Film, May 23)
- An Indian-American competitor has won the prestigious Scripps National Spelling Bee for the past 12 years straight, making the trend one of the longest in sports history. SPELLING THE DREAM chronicles the ups and downs of four Indian-American students as they compete to realize their dream of winning the iconic tournament. With fascinating perspectives from CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta and Fareed Zakaria, comedian Hari Kondabolu, ESPN's Kevin Negandhi, 1999 Scripps National Spelling Bee winner, Nupur Lala, and others, the film explores the reasons behind this incredible winning streak and what it means for the community. Directed and produced by Sam Rega. Produced by Chris Weller.
🚴🏼♂️ Rukus is now renting out its bikes. Rent them here.
🧘 Yoga in the park has been canceled, but yoga sessions can be streamed here.
🧘 Morning meditation has been canceled, but a meditation session can be streamed here.
🌊 Nona Adventure Park is closed.
👸 15 minute Facetime sessions with princesses for your little ones are available for $15 - text Amy with Dreams Do Come True at 407-319-2432.
🦒Wild FL's Drive-Thru Safari Park is still open and will remain open throughout the stay-at-home order.
Do you have information we should share? Let us know.